'Great West Way®: History & Heritage' Guide Book
The Great West Way® is a 500-mile route that runs between Bristol in the South to London and is based on one of the first Great Roads commissioned by the Kings of England.
This 'History & Heritage' route begins with the cultural cities of Bristol and Bath (or ends here if you choose to reverse). These cities each bursting with their own rich heritage. Before choosing to detour toward the Cotswolds or follow on south towards the North Wessex Downs: that's two Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
If you choose to detour to the Cotswolds, visit typical Cotswolds honey-coloured stone villages as well as stunning Regency architecture.
Explore bustling cities, market towns and pretty villages on and off-the-beaten track. Opt to visit three World Heritage Sites along the Great West Way®.
Travel through periods of England's vast history to discover what has shaped the landscaped. Thus includes Neolithic settlements, Bronze and Iron Age Forts and Roman settlements. Discover Roman centres including villas, as well as the vast Roman Bath complex at the UNESCO World Heritage city of Bath.
Naturally, you can expect to encounter much heritage along the way. This road trip includes the industrial and engineering prowess of the Victorians, including the Golden Age of Steam, the creation of the railways and nautical history.
Immerse yourself in art and culture on this road trip, including lots of galleries and museums, plus Britain's biggest art collection with 8000 pieces.
Follow in the footsteps of Royalty, through the medieval age from Henry I's 12th-century ruin to present day Royalty at Windsor Castle and on to Eton. Windsor Castle is the world's largest and oldest inhabited castle.
- Over 30 pages of useful information
- Options for 3-10 days touring
- Up-to-date embedded links and contacts
- Hidden gems and off the beaten track places
- 115+ attractions, experiences and days out
- 35+ optional tours and activities
- Non-height restricted places to park
- Linked maps and countryside walks
- 60+ Selected campsites & 80+ Secret Stays™
- 35+ Food and drink destinations
- Easy to download format - print or save
- Useful suggestions for your chosen time frame
- English language guidebook
One of England's Best Road Trips: Add to basket below or visit our 'Great West Way®: History & Heritage' Guide Book page for more information